Thursday 18 December 2008

The National Gallery times two

A couple of weeks ago, on December 2nd and 4th, we got to go to the National Gallery with some friends who wanted Micah's custom tour, complete with art commentary. (He's really good at it - very interesting and engaging!) James and I went along and had (mostly) a great time. Art museums aren't tailor-made for three-year-olds, but James did a really good job behaving and staying with us. I even got him interested some of the time in the actual artwork. My favorite comments he made include "Wow, what a big rectangle!" - in reference to a very large and (you guessed it) rectangular painting - and, in response to my question of who the baby was in a Madonna and child painting, "It's baby Alex!"

My favorite painting of the many wonderful pieces in the National Gallery remains this one, The Execution of Lady Jane Grey, by Paul Delaroche:
I think it's probably still my favorite because it made a huge impression on me during my first trip to London when I was in college (almost 12 years ago).

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I have to confess to being equally impressed by Lady Jane Grey when I saw it. Great minds....