Wednesday 8 July 2009

The Inscription inside the Statue of Motherhood

The Colossal Mom*

Not like the cover model of Vogue or Elle,
With skinny limbs draped with designer clothes,
Here, in the ankle-high filth shall stand
A tired woman with a diaper bag, the murky depths
Of which no one wants to plumb, and her name
Mother. Just Mother. From her dishpan hand
Flow everlasting snacks; her wild eyes command
The cramped dwelling that children and husband inhabit.
"Keep, orderly homes, your fabled peace!" cries she
With chapped lips. "Give me your tired, your cranky,
Your frantic toddlers longing to scale walls,
The pitiful savages I call my children.
Send these, the crazy, reason-impaired to me,
I open my arms beside the pile of dirty laundry!"

*All rights reserved. May only be copied with the author's (my) permission.

9 comments:

alexandra said...

I love it!

hillary and britton said...

Wonderful!

mary said...

You talented girl. I love it!

Camille said...

How will you design your statue? Lady Liberty may not be skinny, but she certainly has ?fashionable clothes? draped all over her! Maybe Micah has seen the perfect statue in his art-adventures...

Hanna said...

you should get this published.... somewhere.... it's fabulous X

Unknown said...

Hello Tat! My contract for internship is 12 months beginning Aug 17th. Will you ever swing through town? We might stay longer depending on if Michael can find a job he likes in Happy Valley. I have two jobs waiting for me back in MT if I want them post degree. But the decision to move will be around Michael's career or if i get preggers and need extra family help. :)

Marianne said...

**sniff** You're so freaking AWESOME!!! I LOVE YOU!!

Rochelle said...

Seriously LOVE this!

Zoo Keeper Mom said...

Wow! Beautiful!
( I just made the leap from your facebook, to your current blog, to this. Lovely read. Beautiful family.)
I miss you, my friend. You are in Alpine now! We can get together sometime that means! Shall we wait till the weather is great, and have a picnic in a park somewhere between Layton and Alpine? Or have you meet me at my in-laws in West Jordan one of these weekends? Let me know what you think. I hope this shows up in your inbox... or I will wish I communicated via facebook...