Saturday 10 October 2009

School Uniforms

Walking to school - James's first day of Reception (or so we thought - this was a Monday and he actually started on that Thursday)

James really likes his school. It is a state school, and like at about 100% of the primary schools in Britain, the children there wear uniforms to school. I LOVE how he looks in his school uniform. I feel that there are so many pros and almost no cons to having kids wear them. It simplifies getting ready in the morning, it is an equaliser (no "poor" or "rich" clothes; no trendy or immodest clothes - everyone dresses the same way), and it helps the kids get in the mindset for school. Plus, the kids look so smart! (I mean this in the British sense of the word.) Cons - um... the uniform can be expensive (but really no more so than regular clothes, and is often cheaper than ordinary play clothes). Some people may say that it curbs individualism or freedom of expression in children. And I reply to this, "really? So we want to convey that the best or most important way for our children to express themselves is through fashion?"

So, can we start a movement in the U.S. for uniforms in public schools? Who's with me?

16 comments:

alexandra said...

I am with you.

kt said...

ooo! ooo! me! me! (& I agree with you...he looks very "smart!")

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Oh my, he is ADORABLE!!! I love that little grin.. I would love to have uniforms too!!

Melinda said...

He's dashing! And I'm with you on the uniforms.

Marianne said...

Dear Tat,

James is a very handsome young man. He looks dashing in his school uniform.

Love,

Marianne

p.s. I make no comment about the school uniforms because I have bigger issues with public education in general. Uniforms might help...?

alexandra said...

I think Marianne and I might have a lot in common!

mary said...

We had uniforms in my public school, and I was great with it because I didn't have to pick any outfits... but um... mine were HIDEOUS and James' is absolutely smashing!!! I think he looks so handsome!!

Emma said...

He looks so cute ! I can't believe he is old enough for school!

Tiffini said...

I think that school uniforms are a great idea--it would simplify the morning routine. And they do look so good!!

Lindsey said...

he looks sooo SMART! I love it. izzy doesn't wear one this year, but will next. i'm kind of excited for it. :)

when do you leave? maybe we can get together once before you go!

Hanna said...

he looks very handsome. I actually liked my school uniform! it made things so easy in the morning when i was a teenager! I think having to pick out clothes to wear 5 days a week when was at school may have just caused me to have a melt down! I think it's really unfair to put so much pressure on kids to look good for school..... seriously they have enough to deal with! Uniforms are the best

Camille said...

The only complaints I've heard are from those who wear them. I definitely see the value - and the $value is the one drawback in my eyes...

Amberlyn said...

I can't stand how cute he is in his uniform. I actually almost put Ash in a certain Montessori preschool because of the uniforms they had...Love you and can't wait for you guys to be Utards again.

Carrie said...

Oh, I love school uniforms. I will get behind you on the "school uniforms in the states" movement. I would like to stay away, however, from those sexy chilean jumpers-- so short.

James is so handsome Tatiana, really.

hillary and britton said...

I'm with you Tat. James looks so refined, proper and adorable

Leslie said...

As with your child, most kids look adorable in their school uniforms.