Wednesday 14 May 2008

"the fugitive moment refuses to stay"

I just held James and sang him to sleep. This does not happen very often; many times Micah or I will be dismissed with a "go" when James is ready to rest for the night. Tonight he was so exhausted that changing his diaper and putting on pajamas was a traumatic event for everyone involved. But eventually, he calmed down enough for Micah to sing a few bedtime songs to him ("The Itsy Bitsy Spider," "The Wheels on the Bus," and "Popcorn Popping"), and finally, he crawled on my lap and snuggled up to me to listen to "one (last) song." As I sang "I Lived in Heaven," then "I Know My Father Lives," then "I Feel My Savior's Love," his little eyes fluttered, then closed, then stayed closed.

How many more nights will he let me sing him to sleep, cradled in my arms? Whatever the number, it will be too few.

5 comments:

Camille said...

So sweet! We try to remember to sing to Annie, but she's pretty good about falling to sleep anyway. I love it when she just wants to cuddle up against my chest and neck and be held.

The Trevor said...

maybe if you change up the repertoire as he gets older...

we all go through a Bohemian Rhapsody phase...

Laverna said...

I was at a baby shower for Camille and one of our cousins gave this advice: When you're up late (or woken up in the middle of the night) with your baby, don't begrudge the time you spend with them. Treasure those moments of being close to your baby.
Well and faithfully done. I am so grateful to have family/role models that are such great examples. Every child -- every mother -- deserves to have those sorts of peace filled moments.

Tiffini said...

My little Wyatt is the one I got to sing to the most. We had rocka rocka time in the rocking chair. This continued until we moved here and he began sharing a room with Ethan and Wyatt. I miss our rocka rocka time. I guess I have to start it up with Mallory now.

mary said...

I know, I am actually glad you blogged such a sweet little moment, because they are so fleeting! It is hard to believe that little babies turn into such big boys.