Tuesday 10 June 2008

Where Am I?

I traveled today from our flat in central London to a couple of friends' homes in East London, trying out some alternative transportation routes in order to avoid the dreaded transfer at Bank station. For reasons related to my own incompetence and stubbornness, I ended up walking much more than I had intended, through some interesting neighborhoods. Not really dangerous neighborhoods - just more industrial than residential. It got me thinking -- Greater London is a relatively small area, consisting of 609 square miles of land out of the approximately 57 million on Earth. But on almost any given 90p ($1.80) bus ride in the capital, you can pass wide green expanses next to row after row of (aptly named) row houses. There are crumbling warehouses around the corner from extravagant hotels. There are stones from the old Roman city walls tucked in between shiny new skyscrapers. So my tube, light rail, light rail, walking, bus, walking, bus, and tube journeys today took me through dozens of little mini-cities. There was a totally different feeling in each neighborhood, and frankly it was disorienting. Trying to make sense of these disparate pieces as part of a larger whole was mentally like trying to put together a puzzle with the pieces from several different boxes. Living in New York was like living in a mosaic; the neighborhoods were different, but felt like part of one grand composition. London is more like the collage of a madman. I've yet to process all the feelings that surfaced for me today, but one thing I have realized is that there is value in being caught off guard. I said to Micah the other day that I feel more at home in New York than here in London. That is true. But I also like London more. Maybe part of what I like about it is its ability to disquiet me.

5 comments:

alexandra said...

I love reading your blog. I could go on and make some incoherent comments about how it makes the world seem wonderfully big and cozily small all at the same time, but I can't explain it well. So I will leave it at that.

Btw, "where am i?" is a question I find myself asking myself in a very non-philosophical-I-think-I-have-a-diagnosable-illness way.

alexandra said...

PS I like to imagine JK Rowling on the stopped tube looking out into a field on the day that was to change my life forever.

Unknown said...

we must have experienced a psychic connection today, because i used the word disquieting not a half hour prior to reading this new post. london, i think, is indeed the collage of a madman, and your descriptions reminded me somewhat of san francisco, though sf seems to lean more towards the new york concept of small parts of a whole neighborhoods. however, i often met europeans who said sf was their favorite city, and i wonder if it is this mad collage aspect that causes it to be more closely aligned with london, say, than other american cities. this was a lovely piece of writing.

Unknown said...

pardon, i meant to say europeans who said sf is their favorite american city, not favorite city overall, over all cities on the planet.

Laverna said...

I was taking the bus home from work yesterday and, instead of dozing off on the 30 min. journey, watched the houses as they passed by my window.
By no stretch of the imagination is Salt Lake City an urban center like London or New York, but I was intrigued to see how the architecture (and yard size) of the houses changed as we drove deeper into the suburbs.
I've decided that I really like the Queen Anne and Arts/Crafts style houses . . . they're so much more inviting than more recent styles.
I love the diversity you find in the bigger cities. Some friends and I went to Seattle last summer for a friend's wedding. Such a beautiful city, even if the parking is terrible.