Friday 14 March 2008

The (Almost) Completely Fictional Post

Today was a great day. I arose, as I so often do, at five a.m. with a song in my heart. I said a long, uninterrupted morning prayer, studied Scripture, and did my Pilates workout by six. I then showered, dressed, and applied makeup, makeup which in no way was irreparably damaged by my son at any time today.

At seven o'clock, James knocked gently on his bedroom door, and said, "Mommy, I'm up! Can I come out of my room now?" We breakfasted on whole-grain, sugar-free, nutrient-rich food which had been harvested and packaged using sustainable, eco-friendly processes. James ate, as usual, a well balanced meal.

After starting the laundry and washing the breakfast dishes, we exited the spotlessly clean flat in an orderly manner and visited a museum a few blocks away. James obeyed my every suggestion, holding my hand the entire time without a fuss, and refrained at all times from touching the priceless antiques and furniture.

We returned home for lunch, which was as hearty and wholesome as breakfast. After lunch, James went of his own accord up to his room for a nice, long nap. Because he slept so soundly and so long, I was able to get some necessary tasks accomplished. I worked on our taxes, scheduled my Visiting Teaching appointments, and did some crocheting while listening to my French lessons.

James awoke in time for a visit from our friends, Hanna and Henry. James was in a great mood, owing to all the rest he had gotten, and at no time did he make Henry cry. Not at all.

After our friends left, James and I had a peaceful and restful evening, playing gently with one another until James' bedtime. We rounded out the evening with a nice, homemade dinner. After family prayer, James gave me a goodnight kiss and drifted off to sleep. I sighed as I gazed upon him, wondering what I did to deserve such a lovely child.

And now I'm off to bed myself, content with knowing that I've done some good in the world today.

10 comments:

Tiffini said...

Wow--that sounds like heaven on earth. Now--what really happened?

Tat said...

Tiff - you're a mother. I think you know what really happened.

Laverna said...

Sounds like a rather typical day as a mother. Especially the whole eating a balanced meal and the house being spotlessly clean.
I have spring break this week and am actually looking forward to being able to clean my house. When I was younger, I hated cleaning. I still don't like it, but it sure feels good to have it done.

Tat said...

Laverna,

Didn't Mark Twain say something like (I'm paraphrasing) work is something you have to do and play is something you choose to do? When cleaning is a break from studying, it's like a party.

Laverna said...

Among other witty and profound things, yes, Samuel Clemens did say that.
I never really got into Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, but I do enjoy his jibes and observations.

Laverna said...

By the way, how exactly does one hurt their mustache?

alexandra said...

It really is hard sometimes (many many times). Andrew is still awake and I want to die.

Sally said...

Tat, sounds exactly like my days. I loved the post. Thanks!

mary said...

That is my day exactly. I am always completely dressed for the day, with my bed made and my scriptures studied, by 6 a.m. Things go smoothly from there. I am glad other mothers are like this.

Actually, I would have to change the title to "Completely Fictional" if this were a post on MY blog!!

Tiff and Dan said...

I'm here with Hanna...were laughing at the post. She said it was quite a perfect day! Ha Ha! See you on Sunday