Monday 10 March 2008

Pupaphobia

In case you're wondering, it's the fear of puppets. And James has it. He becomes violently frightened when anyone with any kind of puppet demonstrates its use. I would add pictures of James being traumatized by puppets, but I think it would be cruel to laugh at his very real affliction. I should say it would be cruel for more people to laugh at his pain, because Micah and I have already enjoyed this little joke at his expense.

So far, he has been scared out of his mind by a dinosaur puppet, a wolf puppet, and even one of his own mittens being used as a sort of puppet. You know, like, "hey, James, I'm your mitten. If you put me on your hand, I'll keep you warm," with the fingers and thumb parts of the mitten being moved up and down to simulate a talking mouth. Yeah, he completely freaked.

It's good to know, though, that if these issues persist, there is help out there for people like James.

5 comments:

Micah said...

Tat shielding the main abuser of James apparent pupaphobia: me. We have been trying to teach James a few songs with little or no visible progess. So, I googled "teaching children to sing," an came upon a website that suggested using puppets.

With this great suggestion, I went to Coven Garden and bought James a wolf puppet and cut off all of its teeth. (By the time I was done, it looked like a normal dog to me.)

When I came home, I got behind the couch and told Tat to bring James in and meet his new friend "lobo." Apparently, James understands Spanish (lobo means wolf) and he began cowering in fear (a classic sign of pupaphobia).

I put the puppet upstairs in a cupboard only to be found by James the next morning. He rolled into a ball and started crying again.

There go my hopes for a father/son ventriloquist act.

alexandra said...

I am still laughing at this, and at Micah's comment. How sad indeed that the dreams of a father-son ventriloquist act have been dashed! Andrew loves puppets. I wish he would fear them. He makes me wear a puppet and play cars with him all day long. It really sucks sometimes. Maybe the puppet should attack or something. I don't think it would be cruel to post a picture. I mean, I could see you thnking it might be cruel to snap a shot instead of comforting, but once that deed is done, let's share the moment with the world. Please?

Unknown said...

poor james! though i will say "traumatized by a wolf puppet in a london flat" as his top 10 reasons for needing therapy later in life beats out my "my mother never signed me up for girl scouts" by thousands of puppet lined yards.

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Hey, this is Jen Myers (Micah's Friend in Utah).. My daughter Madison isn't too fond of puppets either.. I love reading your blog. James is so cute!! Miss you Micah! You guys are great. Keep in touch.

Laverna said...

I am amazed at the website more than anything. "No matter your phobia, we can help you!"
"I have a fear of getting eaten by a large grilled cheese sandwich. Can you help me?"
"Of course. We'll discuss your treatment options over lunch. How about a grilled cheese sandwich?"

Seriously though, Leslie had a blue dog puppet as a little kid -- his name was Mr. Patches -- and loved to play with him. We as sisters all used Mr. Patches to bribe Leslie to do things for us.
Maybe it's a good thing that James doesn't like puppets.