Tuesday 25 March 2008

Some Thoughts on Easter

I apologize in advance for those who would see this post as light-minded or inappropriate in any way. I don't mean to trivialize the atonement and resurrection at all by what I'm about to say.

As I sat in church on Easter Sunday, and even in the days leading up to it, I felt what I'm going to call "the spirit of Easter" more this year than I think I've ever felt it before. What it boiled down to was an overwhelming sense of gratitude - not just for the resulting blessings of Christ's actions, but for the actions themselves.

I am grateful for the promise of a universal resurrection, and somewhat more so for the opportunity my Savior has afforded me to repent of my sins. This year, what was foremost in my mind, though, was the way in which Jesus accomplished His great labor of love. And I must say that a big part of getting a handle on my Easter thoughts and feelings this year was by thinking about some of our great modern, secular parables.

As I sat in Sacrament Meeting, I thought of little Frodo, accepting the burden of the one ring at the council in Rivendell, even though he had little knowledge of the difficulties ahead of him. I thought of the great lion, Aslan, who forgave even Edmund's treachery. And I thought of Harry Potter, who (spoiler alert!) walked into the Forbidden Forest at midnight, planning to lay down his life for his friends.

I am not implying, of course, that these stories rival holy Scripture, or that the experiences of these fictional characters compare to the ultimate sacrifice of the very non-fictional Jesus of Nazareth. What I am saying is that the themes in these books (and others)-- themes of sacrifice, love, forgiveness, and of fighting for a cause bigger than oneself -- deeply resonate with me, and with so many people.

I guess that the ideas encompassed by the word "atonement" are so big, and the sacrifices Jesus made so awesome, in the true sense of the word, that it is helpful for me to approach the subject via allegory. I find I can better relate to the thoughts and feelings of a small hobbit or young wizard than a person who was literally the Son of God, and who had no faults, and who suffered for the sins of countless billions. So I am grateful for these contemporary parables, that in a very small way help me better understand and appreciate the Greatest Story Ever Told -- that of the empty tomb.


6 comments:

alexandra said...

Hey, I am a fellow wisher of living an another universe and I too love the parallels btwn those wonderful books and the scriptures. Truth is Truth, right? I wish we could hang out. As soon as I get this apparition thing down, we are all set. Unless you are already hooked up to the floo network?

Tiffini said...

I don't think you are being light minded. Those are some pretty good parallels--keeping in mind the infinite aspect of the atonement. Thanks for sharing.

Laverna said...

How does the 13th Article of Faith go? 'If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report, we seek after these things.' I don't see anything wrong with recognizing truth in a variety of different places. In fact, I think you are supposed to.
All things denote that there is a God and you just have to open your eyes to see it.
Granted, I don't think that we need to cannonize Harry Potter or the Chronicles of Narnia, but there are echoes of truth in them all. If they bring you closer to Christ, then you've done nothing wrong.

ginny said...

I'm trading stalking confessionals with you. And I once heard a marvelous talk by Pres. Uchtdorf (back when he was a lowly Seventy) wherein he heavily referenced Harry Potter to illustrate gospel principles. So there.

Tiffini said...

Hey--I just realized that I don't have your email. Tim is working in patent law this summer for smallish firm. It is actually a paying job and he can keep it during the school year too. Get me your email and I will tell specifics. We are thrilled. It will cut down loans dramatically!

erik bryan said...

You very nearly broke the nerd alert with this one. If only you'd taken it a little farther, and found parallels in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or Dungeons and Dragons . . .