Wednesday 9 April 2008

Pure Imagination

James sees the world a little differently than the rest of us. As soon as he realized that he was part of a world, and that there were other things besides himself in that world, he imagined that those things were other things.

This may look like a small plastic toy to you or to me. To James, it is a cell phone.

An ordinary brown leather sofa? Not when James straddles the top. From that position, he told me, "Look, Mommy! I'm riding a horse!"

This is the cardboard strip torn off our laundry detergent box.

But in James' hands, it's a balloon, and he is Curious George, being carried away by it.

These are not the pillows on our bed . . .

. . . they form the dashboard of James' car.

On the left is a carrot. On the right is the vegetable peeler. When James "peels carrots," he does so over the trash can.

And the following picture needs no explanation:

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i lovelove it. and look forward to being a passenger in the truly genius (and green!) pillow car. in honor of our old (now deeply buried in his subconscious, but still)tradition, please give james a good quiet forehead to forehead moment, through some stair railings, on my behalf. much love to the family c.

alexandra said...

What a cutie! He is so big and adorable! I think it is awesome what a great imagination he has. Obviously very very smart like his mom.

mary said...

I love it... I believe my favorite is the carrot and peeler, used ever so appropriately over the trash can. I love getting little glimpses into their minds. Little boys are just so fun!

Laverna said...

It's amazing how kids pick up on what their parents do and then create it with elements from their own imagination.

The Trevor said...

Wait wait wait... you can get him to understand that carrot peeling go in the trash can...

yet he struggles with the wall being off limits for crayons?

I'm confused.

Unknown said...

wait - who said walls are off limits for crayons?

ginger said...

james is adorable, tati! and i do love his imagination as well!

Sally said...

Oh they grow up so fast!

Hubba's Thoughts said...

He is so cute! Sometimes I wish we could always look at the world like a child! That is great you had family come a visit! How long are you guys going to be over there?? Have a fun time while you're there, I'm sure you'll miss it when you come back!