Friday 25 January 2008

Check Out Elna Baker

So I was listening to my This American Life podcast, as I am wont to do each week, when one of the stories particularly caught my attention. The story was called "Babies Buying Babies," by one Elna Baker. It was brilliant and funny, and I recommend you listen to it - it's the third act of the "Matchmakers" show from last week. Anyway, then I realized from the show that Ms. Baker is LDS, so I went to her website to find out more about her. That led me to a video clip of her on MySpace delivering a hilarious monologue about attending an LDS Singles Halloween dance (at the Manhattan Stake Center, I might add - where yours truly has attended many an LDS Singles Halloween dance many moons ago). Basically, I have started stalking this woman. And I think you all should, too.

5 comments:

alexandra said...

I am about to check out your links to that lady. Across the Atlantic Ocean, sitting in my car in the Arlington Costco parking lot, nursing my new baby, I, too, was listening to Matchmakers. I stayed for the first two and then felt as though I should tear myself away and go inside. Thanks for the link; I am going to listen to it. Then, if it is as funny as you say, I will join you in stalking.

alexandra said...

Ok I see why you like her: she is living your road not taken. I know you must now see the similarity between you two. I sort of felt like I was listening to you when I watched her little routine. You are right about her being hilarious.

Christine said...

Hey I am Elna Baker's Mom. I was just googling responses to her show. Where are you at in London? We lived in London North Ward for 7 years. My husband was the Bishop there. What stake are you in? My niece is there now Jana and Grant Tybble. They live down near Greenwich. There is a blind Elderly woman in our old ward there named Peggy Scott. I would love it if someone could set her up to listen to Elna on the radio. She has been her biggest fan since she was about 12 years old. Anyway, Enjoy your stay in London. It definately gets under your skin!!!
Christine Baker

Tat said...

Mary Christine -

Hi! We live in central London, within the boundaries of the Whitechapel Ward (Hyde Park Stake). I have some good friends in the London North Ward, though. I'll see if they can help Peggy find some of Elna's things to listen to.

Thanks for writing!

-Tatiana

Joel said...

I had the same experience. Listing to a Podcast of This Life. Found out she was Mormon, started stalking her :-). I have been recommending her website to all of my friends. I am not living in NY but my little sister does and I have spent many Sunday's in the ward she was talking about. I feel like she is somewhat of a spokesperson for my generation. Kind of nice.