Monday 14 January 2008

Top Tens

Alicia, because you asked me if I miss Alpine, I dedicate this list to you:

The Top Ten Things I Miss about Living in Alpine, Utah

10. My household appliances: garbage disposal, dishwasher, washing machine, & dryer.

9. My beautiful gray recycling bin. You just roll it out to the curb, and you're done. There's no shoving recyclables into impossibly small openings in a collection container three blocks away.

8. Walking in Burgess Park.

7. The convenience of having a car.

6. Being able to walk to church.

5. Having a temple 10 minutes away.

4. The bountiful availability of buttermilk, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and corn tortillas.

3. Cafe Rio. Oh my, do I miss you.

2. Are you familiar with a little something called customer service? 'Cause the Brits aren't.

1. Being close to family and friends. I miss you all much more than I have probably expressed.

Of course, this post would be incomplete without:

The Top Ten Things about Living in London

10. Public transportation rocks! And being able to walk almost anywhere is fabulous.

9. Being within walking distance of several community centers with free playgroups for kids.

8. Free health care!

7. Being so close to so many exhibitions of performing and fine arts.

6. Being so close to so many exhibitions of historical significance (like King Tut's mummy right now at the O2, or the Chinese terracotta warriors at the British Museum).

5. Being so close to Platform 9 3/4, The Leaky Cauldron, and other Harry Potter points of interest (they may be fictional, but that doesn't make them any less real).

4. Actually knowing the missionaries and having them over for dinner often (this doesn't happen in Alpine).

3. Easy access to "the continent." (The trains to Paris depart from a station that is a 25-minute walk from our flat.)

2. Ordering groceries online. This has revolutionized my world - and not just because it feeds my borderline-OCD affinity for list-making.

1. Meeting new people . . . all the time. I love being part of such a diverse mixture of people.

1 comment:

gina said...

I stumbled across your blog from Cynthia's. I love your Alpine/London lists. Cute. Hi-Micah!

Gina Neslen Harris