Wednesday 9 January 2008

Overheard in London...

Okay, here is as close as I can get to an exact transcript of a conversation I had Monday night on our intercom with someone who buzzed up to our flat:

him: Are you open?
me: Is what open, the restaurant? (We live above a Japanese restaurant.)
him: No, upstairs.
me: Open for what?
him: You know.
me: Uh, no I don't.
him: A massage.
me: Oh, I think that they used to do that here, but not anymore.
him: (sarcastically) Really?
me: Really.
him: You sure you don't do it?
me: Quite sure.
him: Oh, come on!
I hang up.

See, the story goes that there really was a "massage parlor" in this building at one time - only in the other flat, not ours. So this would seem to confirm the rumors Micah heard... what a colorful place we live in!

4 comments:

Holly said...

That is the funniest exchange I've heard in, well, a very long time! We miss you so much!!!!!!!! xoxoxoquaple

Unknown said...

you call it colorful, i call it a good way to make a few spare quid under the table. also, i am sad that you did not use this opportunity to employ one of ye old favourite britishism's: not bloody likely!

erik bryan said...

I had a similar conversation last night with my intercom box:

me: hello?
dude: hey is [unintelligible] there?
me: who?
dude: she's, like, a really tall, like, 6' 5" Puerto Rican girl?
me: what's his name, the guy you're looking for?
dude: oh.
me: I'm sorry, but there's no one by the name of Oh here.
dude: thanks [sound of my intercom box being beaten by an angry dude]

I ran to the window to shout that I was going to call the cops if he didn't "sod off," but he'd jumped in to a car and rolled out by then.

Iliana's right, though. Nothing wrong with a little, "hey hey!"

mary said...

Crazy!!